Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Book One


Michael Crichton - NEXT
HarperCollins - 2006
How I loved Jurassic Park ... and hoped and prayed. NEXT held promise ... and delivered some of that promise. Genetics, cloning and the exploitation of the human gene ... I know more today than I knew yesterday ... and Crichton, true to form, added a challenging bibliography as recommended reading should I want to educate myself.
But as far as a story goes ... he disappointed: NEXT read as a movie script, switching between scenes with no apparent pattern. Dizzying plot lines, poorly developed characters had me wondering why Crichton had not chosen a non-fiction path for his education of the masses and editorializing.
Intellectually, morally, ethically ... and definitely scientifically ... he raised some major issues that I have since peppered into conversations ... do we own our own genes? and we don't who does? ... and does that person and/or entity have the right to harvest genes from me anytime they want? ... should genes be patented? Are blondes going extinct?
Left me with many questions, a reading list ... but not really wanting to read more.

No comments: